photo botslide.jpg

Workaholic?

Tuesday 18 November 2014

Taken in a mystical, magical forest..

I like to achieve things, and I like to achieve things well. I'm a proud "list-lover", a "notebook hoarder" and a downright perfectionist. A lot of my life revolves around lists, which may sound like a prison for some, but I love to have everything neat and oh, that feeling of checking something off. Yes.

The above are all good things. But I worry that sometimes they can turn to jelly? As in: life can become all about the results, and the work.

So far, you might be nodding your head. Yeah, she sounds all right. Has a few thoughts in her noggin (*brain). Let me read you this from a book currently by my bedside: "The Artisan Soul" by Erwin Raphae McManus.

"Religion is our response to God from a perspective of coercion and compliance. We fear God, so we do his bidding and risk coming near him, all the while waiting to put distance between ourselves and our Creator. God is, however, profoundly misunderstood. Worship is not something we are called to so that God can reinforce his status. It is his way of calling us near. He asks us to grab the lighter and set the altar on fire - not because he could not do it himself, but because he wants us to come near. He wants us to realise that while we thought all he wanted form us was the work, it was actually an invitation to come near and know his love."

In the world of philosophical books, I make sure I have my head screwed on tight and I definitely do not believe everything I read. But this did make me think.

To summarize for those sleepy readers (I feel you): God doesn't love us for what we do, he loves us for who we are.

Yes, go ahead and write that somewhere on your wall or in iNote. You're welcome.

I have a few hundred dreams (not even exaggerating here), and you know what, the world is my oyster and the sky is the limit. But we gotta be careful that all this work doesn't become about having to earn Gods love. He loves us just as we are.

Whether you become the worlds best toenail cutter, or a snazzy salsa teacher, in all your ways submit to Him and He will make your paths straight (Proverbs 3:6).

I might need to leave you just now, my loved one awaits...... (HELLO DAY OLD PIZZA).

ha. xo

2 comments:

  1. I think it's good to want to always be achieving things but I do think that sometimes we can focus on the goal rather than enjoying the journey to get there! :) x

    Sinead | Dreaming Again

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree!! Thanks for the comment :) xo

      Delete

 photo envye.jpg
envye blogger theme